Monday 6 October 2014

Onward Christian Soldiers et al...

For a bit of fun, I decided to take a priest along with my Anglo Dane warband to face David H's Normans at last week's Friday Night Firefight Club. Having seen my Religious Advisor in action, I honestly don't see how any warband can even consider marching without one! Which figure to paint though?

 

 

I'll write some more about using priests in SAGA once this batch of figures is painted. You'll notice 'Ox' at the front (a little out of focus in this shot I'm afraid). He'll be joining Mighty Kyle's Norse Gaels. The other figures give me good selections for an unarmed Religious Advisor, mace armed Warrior Priests and the Enlightened Druid. Most of these figures are old Citadel Miniatures and have lots of character. I wasn't sure about basing, but in the end decided to go with standard circular slotta bases.

I've also been working on some objective markers for different scenarios. Meet the herd!

 

 

I now have Soay sheep, Iron Age pigs and highland cattle. You'll see I've kept the Norse Gael theme running here. The livestock are all under coated and I'm planning to paint them in order to provide a break from warriors and hearthguard. Lastly, here's a couple of baggage items for a future cart model.

 

 

These resin pieces are sold by Colonel Bills (not Aintsy as I first posted). They are single pieces and have given me an idea for making changeable baggage pieces for different warbands/scenarios.

Another point of Norse Gael warriors has its base coat and wash completed. Hopefully I'll get time to apply highlights and final detail later this week. I might just get these done in time for the Canterbury SAGA event in November...

4 comments:

  1. That reminds me I need to paint up some little piggies, but first I need to buy them! They will add nicely to the gaming board indeed though!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin, my pigs came from War Bases http://war-bases.co.uk/figurines

      Delete
  2. I like the baggage and the livestock - lots of potential there. As for the priest, you could always use a small group of figures (diorama?) rather than just a single one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have my eye on some new figures for just such a mini diorama. The under coated figures will be used as is. Looking forward to trying out a warrior priest with Vikings!

      Delete